Accessibility services

High School Transitions

What Are Academic Accommodations?

Academic accommodations authorized by the Accessibility Services Coordinator is designed to enable students to participate in general activities, programs, and classes offered by the college. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis with the Accessibility Services Coordinator.

What Types of Accommodations Might Be Provided?

Examples include, but are not limited to: extra time on tests and quizzes, use of assistive technology, breaks as needed, ability to record lectures, interpreting services, and alternate media.

How Do I Apply For Services?

Application material is available below or online on the Apply for Services and High School Transitions pages of the college website.

  1. Complete the Accessibility Services Application, to the best of your ability.
  2. Verification of Disability can be provided using documentation from your Medical Provider or Clinician.

The Accessibility Support Services Application and any supporting documentation need to be provided to the Accessibility Services Coordinator located in Student Services. Students may complete the electronic application through our website and scan to submit any support documentation to [email protected]. Any documents submitted in person should be addressed to the Accessibility Services Coordinator and delivered in an envelope or folder marked confidential. College Accessibility Services contact information is provided at the bottom of this page.

What Happens After I Submit My Application Material?

Once all of your application material is received and reviewed, the Accessibility Services Coordinator will contact you to schedule an intake appointment.

For students enrolled in courses meeting on the college campus, your intake appointment will take place at the college in the office of the Accessibility Services Coordinator.

I Have An IEP or 504 Plan. Will I Be Authorized For The Same Accommodations I Receive In My High School Classes?

Unfortunately, IEPs and 504 plans cannot be used as documentation of a disability. The documentation provided must be completed by a qualified professional with expertise in the area of your disability. Documentation should not be any more than three years old, demonstrate the existence of a disability, support the reasonable accommodations requested by the student, and have been conducted by a qualified examiner. Additionally, students are responsible for all costs associated with obtaining reports, examinations, testing, etc. A student may submit documents from more than one source if needed to sufficiently document one or more disabilities. If the documentation is insufficient and more is required, Accessibility Support Services will notify the student. The student is then responsible for obtaining any additional information or testing as needed. 

More information regarding some differences with accommodations between high school and postsecondary institutions/colleges can be found at the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.

Shalither S. Cushenberry
Accessibility Services Coordinator
Room 111, 925 W. Edenborne Parkway, Gonzales, LA 70737
225-743-8526, [email protected]

Take the next step

Accomplish your educational and professional goals. Take the next step and apply to join the River Parishes Community College family.

Campus Locations

Gonzales Campus
925 W. Edenborne Parkway
Gonzales, LA. 70737

Reserve Campus
181 Regala Park Road
Reserve, LA. 70084

St. Charles Campus
13145 HWY 90
Boutte, LA. 70039

Westside Campus
25250 Tenant Road
Plaquemine, LA. 70764


River Parishes Community College is committed to collaboration, accountability, respect & inclusion,
excellence, and sustainability.

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.