RIVER PARISHES COMMUNITY COLLEGE
STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION
We, the members of River Parishes Community College Student Government Association, strive to promote the general welfare and best interests of the College, develop a meaningful exchange of ideas between students and administration, and exercise our capacity for self-government. In order to assume the maximum powers with the responsibilities and policies of the College, the students do ordain and establish this constitution for the Student Government Association.
ARTICLE I. ENACTMENT
Section 1. Organization Name
The governing body provided by this constitution shall be known as the Student Government Association of River Parishes Community College (SGA of RPCC).
Section 2. Organization Purpose
The purposes of the Student Government Association (SGA) are:
- To represent the student body in conveying their opinions, ideas, wishes and needs to the Administration and Faculty.
- To create and execute any measures beneficial to the student body.
- To serve as the student voice in the governing of the student body.
- To initiate measures necessary to implement the above clauses.
ARTICLE II. OFFICERS
Section 1. Executive Board
The Executive Board shall be composed of the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- The Executive Board is responsible for designing an agenda that adheres to this Constitution and the parliamentary authority of the Senate for regular Senate meetings. The Board must meet at least thirty minutes before each regular Senate meeting.
- The Executive Board will be the supervisory body of the Standing and Special Committees of the Senate.
- The Executive Board is responsible for administrative functions of the Senate and SGA.
Section 2. Executive Board Authority
The powers of the Executive Board may not supersede the guidelines of this Constitution. However, in special circumstances, change can be made with approval by the Vice-Chancellor of Academics and Student Affairs (VCASA) and a two-thirds (2/3)-majority vote of the senate.
ARTICLE III. STUDENT SENATE
Section 1. Composition
The Senate shall be composed of the (4) Executive Officers and (10) Senators.
Section 2. Executive Officers
The (4) Executive Officers of the Senate shall be the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
Section 3. Senators
The senate shall have ten Senators.
ARTICLE IV. QUALIFICATIONS
Section 1. Eligibility Requirements
All River Parishes Community College students are members of SGA of RPCC even if they are not an officer or a senator.
Section 2. Eligibility Requirements for Executive Officers
- Currently enrolled full-time students, as defined by the college, who have already earned a minimum of 6 semester hours at RPCC (or has prior SGA experience as an Executive Officer at another Institution), who are in good academic standing, and who have at least a 2.5 overall grade point average as certified by the registrar, may be elected as President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Executive Officers serve for one term (from start of May to end of April). No member of SGA shall be able to hold the same Executive Office for more than one term, unless deemed appropriate by the SGA Advisor due to special circumstances.
Section 3. Eligibility Requirements for Senators
- Currently enrolled full-time or part-time students, as defined by the college, who are in good academic standing, and who have at least a 2.5 overall grade point average as certified by the registrar, may be elected as Senator.
- Senators serve for one term (from start of May to end of April). Senators can be elected for more than one term.
Article V. ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND SENATORS
Section 1. Election of Officers
- Executive Officers shall be elected by a simple majority of the currently enrolled student body voting, regardless of the candidates’ academic classification (Freshman or Sophomore) or primary campus attendance.
- All votes shall be cast by secret ballot and voting will be done electronically. Each currently enrolled student shall be entitled to one vote for any candidate in each officer position, regardless of the candidate’s academic classifications (Freshman or Sophomore) or primary campus attendance.
Section 2. Election of Senators
- The Senators will be elected from the student body-at-large, regardless of the candidates’ academic classification (Freshman or Sophomore) or primary campus attendance.
- All votes shall be cast by secret ballot and voting will be done electronically. Each currently enrolled student shall be entitled to one vote for any candidate regardless of the candidate’s academic classifications (Freshman or Sophomore) or primary campus attendance.
ARTICLE VI. REMOVAL FROM OFFICE
Section 1. Impeachment or Recall
At any time, any elected officer, senator, committee chair, or co-chair may be impeached or recalled from his/her position. Grounds for impeachment can be, but are not limited to, repeated failure to carry out assigned duties/responsibilities, breaches of the provisions set forth in the Constitution and By-Laws of SGA or malfeasance.
Section 2. Automatic Removal
An elected officer or senator will be automatically removed from their elected office or senate position for failure to maintain their required grade point average.
Section 3. Resignation
At any time, any elected officer or senator may request removal from their elected office or senate position.
ARTICLE VII. Meetings
Section 1. Public Access
- Regular SGA meetings shall be open to the public in accordance with the Open Meetings Law of the Senate of Louisiana and open to all RPCC students.
- SGA of RPCC reserves the authority to go into executive session by a two-thirds (2/3)-majority vote of the SGA senate.
- An executive session shall be open to only the SGA senate, the SGA Advisor and River Parishes Community College Administration.
- SGA senate members may allow any person deemed important to the discussion of the matter at hand to remain in the session via a two-thirds (2/3)-majority vote.
Section 2. Requirements of Meetings
- All SGA executive officers and senators shall be required to attend all regularly scheduled SGA and committee meetings.
- The SGA President must have an agenda for every SGA meeting.
Article VII. COMMITTEES
Section 1. Standing committees
SGA shall have standing committees each composed of no less than (3) SGA senate members and/or SGA student-body members. SGA senate members will be on committees as part of their SGA duties while SGA student-body members can be appointed by the SGA President. In accordance with this rule, SGA student-body members who are appointed to standing committees shall be granted the same rights and privileges as it relates to other SGA senate members.
SGA of RPCC standing committees are as follows:
- Election Board Committee
- Internal Affairs Committee
- Student Activities Committee
- Public Relations Committee
Section 2. Special (Ad-Hoc) Committees
The Executive Board and/or the Senate can call for the formation of Special (Ad-Hoc) Committees for any designated purpose or duty charged with addressing matters that deems necessary and proper. These committees shall be in the existence until such time that matters delegated to them are fully resolved.
Article VIII. AMENDMENT PROCESS
Amendments to this Constitution shall be proposed by one of the following methods:
- A typed version of the proposed amendment is submitted by a Senate member to the SGA President or the SGA Advisor. The proposed amendment must be approved by the VCASA, CSAO and the SGA Advisor.
- A petition is submitted to the SGA Senate by a member of the Student Body. The petition must have a number of signatures not less than ten percent (10%) of the students enrolled during the current semester.
A two-thirds (2/3)-majority vote of the Senate with the authorized signature of the President of the SGA is required to put the proposed amendment on a ballot for voting.
ARTICLE IX. PETITIONS
- The Student Body has the right to petition the Student Government Association of River Parishes Community College.
- The Student Senate or any SGA executive shall not invalidate or revoke a properly submitted petition.
Article X. BY-LAWS
- Any legislation other than that stipulated in this Constitution, which governs the operation procedures of the Student Government Association, must be considered a by-law.
- A majority vote of those present and voting at a duly constituted meeting of the Senate is required to pass a by-law under this Constitution.
Article XI. POWERS AND LIMITATIONS
- The powers of the SGA are those vested in it by this Constitution.
- All acts of the SGA shall be consistent with the provisions of the Constitution, By-laws, and rules and regulations of River Parishes Community College.
Take the next step
Accomplish your educational and professional goals. Take the next step and apply to join the River Parishes Community College family.
925 W. Edenborne Parkway
Gonzales, LA. 70737
181 Regala Park Road
Reserve, LA. 70084
St. Charles Campus
13145 HWY 90
Boutte, LA. 70039
25250 Tenant Road
Plaquemine, LA. 70764
River Parishes Community College is committed to collaboration, accountability, respect & inclusion,
excellence, and sustainability.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.