TRIO SSS Mission Statement
TRIO Student Support Services at River Parishes Community College is a federally funded grant program committed to helping first-generation students, students who are low-income (individual or family), as well as students with disabilities. TRIO SSS assists and serves as a web of support for students who aspire to attain higher education. Through tutoring, mentoring services, counseling, and cultural enrichment the program aids in student persistence and success.
TRIO serves three student populations:
- First-Generation: A student whose parents or guardians have not received a 4-year degree.
- Low-Income: A student who meets federal income eligibility guidelines.
- Student with Disabilities: A student with a documented disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
RPCC’s TRIO program consistently provides students with the following services, and has a track record of success in providing them, including the following:
- Academic Tutoring: TRIO offers tutoring in most subjects. The most common areas where assistance is offered include Math, English, Biology, Chemistry, and Physical Sciences. The program also provides tutoring in topics such as study skills, test-taking, time-management, and more. 111 students received tutoring in math and 69 students received tutoring in English during the Spring 2018 semester.
- Advising and course selection assistance: During the 2017/2018 academic year, TRIO Student Support Services Staff held 35 counseling sessions to assist with course selection, and 218 academic advising sessions including priority registration.
- Financial Aid Information and Assistance: We have worked closely with RPCC’s financial aid counselors to hold workshops and individually assist students with financial aid. Activities include a ‘FAFSA Drive’, where counselors made themselves available to help students complete their FAFSA on a walk-in basis.
- Financial and economic literacy education: TRIO holds several workshops per semester on financial and economic literacy – including financial planning for further college education. Each workshop includes tools to assist students in continued financial literacy.
- Assistance in preparing for and transferring to four-year programs: In order to support students, TRIO has near-constant transfer advising sessions. Additionally, the program hosts college tours to several popular four-year institutions, including LSU, Southeastern, Southern University’s Baton Rouge Campus, and Nicholls State. These offerings are supported by transfer workshops throughout the year.
The points above touch on many of TRIO’s services but do not include other allowed voluntary services the program provides. TRIO also assists students with accommodations in meeting their academic needs, as well as providing students with cultural enrichment and aiding in the setting of goals. TRIO SSS strives to serve all 140 of its participants to the fullest extent.
St. Charles Campus
Take the next step
Accomplish your educational and professional goals. Take the next step and apply to join the River Parishes Community College family.
925 W. Edenborne Parkway
Gonzales, LA. 70737
181 Regala Park Road
Reserve, LA. 70084
St. Charles Campus
13145 HWY 90
Boutte, LA. 70039
25250 Tenant Road
Plaquemine, LA. 70764
River Parishes Community College is committed to collaboration, accountability, respect & inclusion,
excellence, and sustainability.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.