|Elections can a huge impact on college students, but you can’t make a difference in that outcome unless you actually vote. If you’re a college student, and especially if you are an out-of-state college student, voting in college presents a few challenges, but there avoiding misinformation is key to a smoother process. Equip yourself with the right knowledge to simplify the process. RPCC has compiled this guide to give you all the important information you’ll need about your voting rights and registering as a student voter in general.
Key Dates and Deadlines:
- Open General/Congressional Registration Deadline: In-person or by mail – November 7, 2018. Online – November 17, 2018.
- Open Primary/Congressional Election: December 8, 2018
Students have a choice about where to register to vote
Students attending college may register at their campus address or choose to remain registered or register at their permanent or home address.
You may only be registered and vote in one location.
Louisiana Voter Resources:
Registering to Vote Does Not Affect Your:
- Federal Financial Aid
- Where you register to vote will not affect federal financial aid such as Pell Grants, Perkins or Stafford loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA
- Status as a Dependent on Your Parents’ Taxes
- Being registered to vote at a different address from your parents does not prevent them from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes
- Tuition Status
- Being deemed out-of-state for tuition purposes does not prevent you from choosing to register to vote in your campus community
Will registering to vote in Louisiana affect my driver’s license or car registration?
- If you intend to drive in Louisiana, you must get a Louisiana driver’s license within 30 days of moving to the state. For more information, contact the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles.
Disclaimer: Fair Elections Center and Campus Vote Project intend the information contained herein is used only as a general guide. This document should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a licensed Louisiana legal professional.