Documentation Guidelines for Psychological Disabilities
A diagnosis by a licensed mental health professional (e.g., psychologist, psychiatrist, licensed professional counselor (LPC), licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), neurologist) is required and must include the license number.
The documentation is considered current if the related evaluation was conducted no more than one year prior to the student’s request for accommodations.
For the documentation to be comprehensive, it must:
- Identify a diagnosis of a psychological disorder according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: (DSM);
- Specify the nature, severity, current impact, and anticipated duration of the disability;
- Describe the expected progression or stability of the disability over time;
- List current medication, dosages, and existing (not possible) side effects;
- Discuss functional limitations caused by the disability in an academic environment or the environment in which the student is requesting accommodations; and
- Include recommended accommodations explaining the need for each as it relates to the functional impact or limitations of the disability on learning or other major life activities.