Skip to content

River Parishes Community College


Academics at River Parishes Community College

River Parishes Community College, Academic Affairs, includes all technical and transfer credit programs, library services, and college-wide institutional effectiveness. Academic Affairs supports the mission of RPCC through providing leadership, quality service, and instruction that leads to technical certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees for transfer or the workforce.

  1. Academic Programs
  2. Academic Calendars
  3. Catalog and Student Handbook
  4. Online Bookstore
  5. Transfer Resources
  6. Transfer and Articulation
  7. RPCC Canvas

Transitions From High School

What Are Academic Accommodations?

Academic accommodations authorized by Disability Services Coordinator is designed to enable students to participate in general activities, programs and classes offered by the college. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis with the Disability Services Coordinator.

What Types of Accommodations Might Be Provided?

Examples include, but are not limited to: extra time on tests and quizzes, use of assistive technology, breaks as needed, ability to record lectures, interpreting services, and alternate media.

How Do I Apply For Services?

Application material is available below, through the Office of Student Services or online on the Apply for Services and High School Transitions pages of the college website.

  1. Complete the Disability Support Services Application, to the best of your ability. 
  2. Verification of Disability can be provided using documentation from your Medical Provider or Clinician.

The Disability Support Services Application and any supporting documentation need to be provided to the Disability Services Coordinator which is located in Student Services. The Application and any support documentation may be submitted via email, mail or in person. Any documents submitted in person should be addressed to the Disability Services Coordinator and delivered in an envelope or folder marked confidential. College Disability Services contact information is provided at the bottom of this page.

What Happens After I Submit My Application Material?

Once all of your application material is received and reviewed, the Disability Services Coordinator will contact you to schedule an intake appointment.

For students enrolled in courses meeting on the college campus, your intake appointment will take place at the college in the office of the Disability Services Coordinator.

I Have An IEP or 504 Plan. Will I Be Authorized For The Same Accommodations I Receive In My High School Classes?

Unfortunately, IEPs and 504 plans cannot be used as documentation of a disability. The documentation provided must be completed by a qualified professional with expertise in the area of your disability. Documentation should not be any more than three years old, demonstrate the existence of a disability, support the reasonable accommodations requested by the student, and have been conducted by a qualified examiner. Additionally, students are responsible for all costs associated with obtaining reports, examinations, testing, etc. A student may submit documents from more than one source if needed to sufficiently document one or more disabilities. If the documentation is insufficient and more is required, Disability Support Services will notify the student. The student is then responsible for obtaining any additional information or testing as needed. I am seeking to secure a position as a Guidance Counseling with a School Board System to establish and serve in a collaborative academic relationship with intent to assist a diverse student population in the development of meaningful educational goals consistent with the student’s abilities, personal interests, and values.

More information regarding some differences with accommodations between high school and postsecondary institutions/colleges can be found at the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.

Shalither S. Cushenberry
Disability Services Coordinator
Room 102, 925 W. Edenborne Parkway, Gonzales, LA 70737