Complaints and Grievances
Informal & Formal Resolution Procedures
The informal resolution process shall apply to situations in which a student’s request for an accommodation has been denied by the Office of Student Services and to those where a student is having difficulties with an instructor and his/her accommodations. Please read the sections that follow for more information.
To file an informal grievance, the student must
- Disability Services Coordinator
- Any student who disagrees with the academic accommodation(s) or other services determined by the Disability Services Coordinator should express his/her concerns and be prepared to provide alternative solutions to the Chief Student Affairs Officer.
- If a student has difficulty with a faculty member, he/she should first try to clarify his/her needs during an individual appointment or the instructor’s office hours. If the student is not comfortable with this approach, the student may contact the Disability Services Coordinator for assistance in speaking with the instructor. The Disability Services Coordinator will work with the faculty member and the student to resolve the situation.
To file a formal grievance, the student must
- Prepare a written statement of complaint or concern that includes the exact nature of the concern, involved parties, and any available written documentation or evidence that is relevant to the complaint
- Complete the General Grievance Form.
- To all written submissions of complaint or concern and will determine the process for addressing the complaint appropriate to the nature of the complaint/concern.
- Student will receive written notification of action taken to address the complaint from the Chief Student Affairs Officer (CSAO).
Students have the right to file complaints with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR). OCR’s contact information for the state of Louisiana is:
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
1999 Bryan Street, Suite 1620
Dallas, Texas 75201-6810