Show, No Show Policy
Document Number: 1.053
Title: Show/No Show Policy
Effective Date: 03/08/2019
Revised Date: 02/06/2020
River Parishes Community College (RPCC) recognizes that attendance and participation play vital roles in the ultimate success and achievement of a student’s educational goals. RPCC is also committed to compliance with the rules regarding the Return of Title IV funds based on attendance. As a result, RPCC has created a show/no show policy to report student attendance during the first 10 class days of a fall and spring semester and the first 7 class days of a summer or atypical session. The purpose of the following policy is to establish guidelines for faculty submission of show/no show data into Banner (LoLA).
For purposes of reporting a student as a “No show” in Banner (LoLA), RPCC defines a “No Show” student as one who has completed all the necessary requirements for registration in the College but has not attended a face-to-face class at least one time or completed at least one academically-related activity in an hybrid or online class by the official 10th class day (7th class day for summer or atypical sessions). For guidance, see the section below entitled “Determining Attendance and Academically-Related Activity.”
All courses reported by the instructor as a “No show” will be removed from the student’s schedule. The Registrar’s Office updates the student’s records based on the instructor’s reports.
Determining Attendance and Academically-Related Activity
ATTENDANCE and/or an ACADEMICALLY-RELATED ACTIVITY includes but is not limited to:
- Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students;
- Submitting an academic assignment;
- Taking an exam, quiz, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
- Attending a study group assigned by the school
- Participating in an online discussion board about academic matters and/or self-introduction to the class; and
- Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.
The definition of academic attendance and academically-related activity does not include activities where a student may be present but not academically engaged, such as:
- Participating in a student-organized study group;
- Logging into an online class without active participation; or
- Participating in academic counseling or advising.