Skip to content

River Parishes Community College


Academics at River Parishes Community College

River Parishes Community College, Academic Affairs, includes all technical and transfer credit programs, library services, and college-wide institutional effectiveness. Academic Affairs supports the mission of RPCC through providing leadership, quality service, and instruction that leads to technical certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees for transfer or the workforce.

  1. Academic Programs
  2. Academic Calendars
  3. Catalog and Student Handbook
  4. Online Bookstore
  5. Transfer Resources
  6. Transfer and Articulation
  7. RPCC Canvas

Transfer FAQs

What is the Transfer Associate Degree?

The Associate of Arts/Louisiana Transfer or Associate of Science/Louisiana Transfer are degrees offered by two-year or community colleges as an interim step to the bachelor’s degree. They allow you to complete the first 60 hours of college work toward a 4-year degree while you attend the two-year or community college. The degrees are designed to give you the foundation to succeed in the baccalaureate and to help you make wise choices about the majors that are best for you.

What is the background of the Transfer Degree Guarantee? How did it originate?

The Louisiana Board of Regents has been actively involved with college-course transfer issues since 1995, when the Statewide Articulation Committee was first established. In 1997 the first Statewide Articulation (course transfer) Matrix was published, listing approximately 25 courses. Since then, Louisiana’s colleges and universities have identified 200 courses that transfer easily. Those courses are listed on the Board of Regents Master Course Articulation Matrix

Even with that progress, more work was needed. In 2009, Senator Ben Nevers sponsored legislation that became Act 356 and that established a requirement to develop a statewide transfer associate degree. That new law set into motion unprecedented cooperation among faculties and institutions to eliminate barriers that would prevent students from successfully transferring between and among postsecondary institutions.

How can the transfer degree help me?

You might find that as you consider college, you’re not sure what field or fields of study you’d like to pursue. That’s okay. Deciding on a major might take you a year or two because college offers an array of interesting studies and learning experiences. The transfer associate degree can help you make the most of your first two years of college, especially if you’re not sure about a major. When you earn the transfer associate degree (39 hours of general education courses and another 21 hours of more specific courses), that 60-hour block of courses will transfer to the public university of your choice. While you won’t lose any credits, the university might require you to meet other admission standards or course requirements for certain majors. So you should visit with an advisor early as a freshman and chart the coursework that’s best for you.

What does the Transfer Associate Degree guarantee?

The degree guarantees:

  • Admission to a 4-year public university (you must meet that university’s standards);
  • Junior-level standing, with all of the rights and privileges that come with it;
  • Transfer of all 60 hours (you must make a “C” or better in each course); and
  • Equal opportunity to compete with ‘native’ university students for admission to limited access programs

What doesn’t the Transfer Associate Degree guarantee?

The Transfer Associate Degree does not guarantee:

  • Admission to every university or degree program: you must meet university-specific or degreespecific admissions requirements (e.g., GPA, specific course completions, etc);
  • That the courses taken for the transfer degree will meet specified course requirements of the major; you need to consult an advisor or the university to make sure.

How does it work?

When you graduate with the transfer associate degree, you are eligible to enter a four-year public university as a junior, with all 60 (non-developmental) credits transferring to the receiving university.

What fields of study can I pursue?

You may complete either a transfer Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree, depending on the type of baccalaureate degree you want to earn. In every case, you should do some research, consider the career you want to pursue, seek advice from a college advisor, and learn which transfer degree program is best for you.

How many hours must I take to earn the Transfer Degree?

You must complete 60 hours (non-developmental) within several categories of courses (see below).

What grades must I make to earn the Transfer Degree?

You must earn a “C” or higher in each course that applies to the degree. If you earn less than a “C” in any course, you must either retake that course or earn at least a “C” in an equivalent (replacement) course. Only the “C” (or higher) grades are guaranteed to transfer with the degree.

What courses are involved?

See below for detailed course lists, but generally, the transfer associate degree consists of 39 hours of general education courses (called the GenEd block) and another 21 hours of more focused course work. The 21 hours of more focused courses are intended to help you prepare for upper-level study and to enrich your initial GenEd experience.

Will I really enter the four-year university as a junior?

Yes, as long as you complete the 60-hour transfer degree with a “C” or better in each course AND meet the university’s transfer admission requirements.

Does it really guarantee that I can transfer from a community college to a four-year university in Louisiana without losing credits?

Yes. When you earn either a transfer Associate of Arts (AA) or transfer Associate of Science (AS) degree, you can be assured that your 60 course hours will transfer for credit. Four-year university faculty have participated in the process of identifying General Education courses that will transfer as a block. Also, remember that in addition to earning the transfer degree, you must satisfy the university-specific admission requirements and know what courses will actually apply to your major when you transfer. Please talk with a college advisor as soon as possible to chart your course work.

Who is eligible for the Transfer Degree Guarantee?

You are eligible once you enroll in one of these colleges:

Baton Rouge Community College

Bossier Parish Community College

Delgado Community College (New Orleans)

Fletcher Technical Community College (Houma)

Louisiana Delta Community College (Monroe)

LSU – Eunice Nunez Community College (Chalmette)

River Parishes Community College (Sorrento)

South Louisiana Community College (Lafayette)

Southern University – Shreveport [SOWELA Technical Community College: when SACS accredited]

What does it take to enroll in a 2-year college?

Louisiana’s community colleges are “open admissions.” To enroll, you must have graduated from high school (or earned a G.E.D. certificate), or be able to demonstrate your ability to benefit by taking a placement test at the college. There are no other admissions requirements (such as a minimum ACT score or minimum grade point average).

Which four-year universities will honor the guarantee?

All of the following public universities in Louisiana will accept your transfer degree, as long as you also meet their university-specific admission requirements:

Grambling State University (Grambling)

LSU (Baton Rouge)

LSU-Alexandria LSU-Shreveport Louisiana Tech University (Ruston)

McNeese State University (Lake Charles)

Nicholls State University (Thibodaux)

Northwestern State University (Natchitoches)

Southeastern Louisiana University (Hammond)

Southern University (Baton Rouge)

Southern University at New Orleans

University of Louisiana at Lafayette

University of Louisiana at Monroe

University of New Orleans

As I’m planning for my Transfer Degree, where can I find the university-specific requirements I would have to meet to qualify for admission?          

Grambling State University

LSU (Baton Rouge)



Louisiana Tech University

McNeese State University

Nicholls State University

Northwestern State University

Southeastern Louisiana University

Southern University (Baton Rouge)

Southern University (New Orleans)

University of Louisiana at Lafayette

University of Louisiana at Monroe

University of New Orleans

What specific courses can I take for the 39-hour GenEd block?

You have plenty of choices that will provide you with an excellent start in college. Check the catalog (or an advisor) in the 2-year college you attend for its list of specific GenEd course offerings.

Here are your options by category:

ENGLISH COMPOSITION (6 Hours: 2 Courses)

  • English Composition (first semester)
  • English Composition (second semester)
  • Advanced English Composition (e.g., ENGL 2000)


  • Analytic Geometry and Calculus (any version)
  • Calculus (any version)
  • College Algebra
  • Contemporary Mathematics
  • Logic
  • Mathematics (e.g., finite, nature of)
  • Statistics
  • Trigonometry

NATURAL SCIENCES (9 hours: 3 Courses, including sequence & biological/physical area mix)

Biological Sciences:

  •      Ecology
  •      Microbiology
  •      General Biology (any version)
  •      Physiology
  •      Human Anatomy
  •     Plant Systems (Botany)
  •      Human Anatomy and Physiology
  •      Zoology

Physical Sciences:

  •      Chemical Fundamentals
  •      General Physics (any version)
  •      Chemistry of Life and Environment
  •      Physical Science
  •      General Chemistry (any version)
  •      Stellar Astronomy
  •      General Geology, Historical or Physical
  •      The Solar System

Either Biological or Physical Sciences:

  •      Environmental Science
  •      Oceanography
  •      Science and Society

HUMANITIES (9 hours: 3 Courses, including 1 in Literature)

  • Argumentation and Debate
  • New Testament
  • Beginning/Intermediate Courses in any Language (e.g., French, German, Performing Literature Italian, Spanish)
  • Old Testament
  • Philosophy (any survey)
  • Cultural History (any survey)
  • Public Speaking
  • Fundamentals of Speech
  • Religious Studies (any survey)
  • History (any survey)
  • Rome
  • Interpersonal Communication
  • Shakespeare Literature (any survey)
  • Women’s and Gender Studies
  • Mass Media

SOCIAL SCIENCES (6 hours: 2 Courses, including 1 at Sophomore Level)

  • American Government
  • International Politics
  • Archaeology
  • Macroeconomics
  • Comparative Politics
  • Microeconomics
  • Contemporary Global Issues
  • Physical Anthropology
  • Cultural and Social Anthropology
  • Political Theory
  • Economic Principles Psychology
  • Entertainment and Media
  • Sociology
  • Fundamental Issues of Politics
  • State and Local Government
  • Gender, Race, and Nation
  • World Archaeology
  • Geography
  • World Ethnography
  • Human Societies

FINE ARTS (3 hours: 1 Course)

  • Architecture
  • Landscape Architecture
  • Cinema and Film
  • Music Appreciation
  • Dance Appreciation
  • Music Fundamentals and Theory
  • Fine Arts
  • Music History Survey (any version)
  • History of Art (any survey)
  • Philosophy of Art
  • History of Interior Design
  • Structure of Art
  • History of Musical Forms
  • Theater and Dramatic Arts (e.g., jazz, classical, folk)

What kinds of courses are required for the remaining 21-hours?

It depends on your expected major for the Bachelor’s degree. You may choose from a variety of courses in the following areas, and remember that you must earn a “C” or better in each of the courses to earn the transfer degree. Please consult with your college advisor when choosing courses in these areas:

  • Humanities
  • Mathematics
  • Natural Sciences – Biological
  • Natural Sciences – Physical
  • Social Sciences
  • Fine Arts

What if I already know the major I want to pursue and the university I want to attend?

If you are relatively sure of your intended major or of the university that you would like to attend, you should tell your advisor and chart your specific coursework for that major at that university. You should also bookmark the university’s web site where you can follow a major-specific degree plan and prepare to meet the standards that you will need to achieve graduate from that university.

I understand what the State of Louisiana guarantees, but what are my responsibilities as a student?

  1. The Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree guarantees your admission to a Louisiana public 4- year university; however, admission to some high demand programs is competitive and can be based on grade point average and other academic requirements. It is your responsibility to research and fulfill the admission requirements for such programs.
  2. The Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree guarantees that you will have an equal opportunity to compete with ‘native’ students to enter limited access programs at 4-year universities. It is your responsibility to know the admission requirements and to be as prepared as possible to compete for a place in the program.
  3. The Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree guarantees that all 60 credits will transfer as block credit to a Louisiana public 4-year university. However, if you transfer before completing the associate transfer degree, you might find that some courses don’t transfer or that you are required to take additional courses to meet the general education requirements at the receiving 4- year university.
  4. To qualify for block transfer guarantees, you must earn a grade of “C” or better in each course of the 60 hours applied toward the degree — either the Transfer Associate of Arts degree or the Transfer Associate of Science degree.
  5. The Louisiana Transfer Associate is a two-year portable academic credential that awards junior standing in any Louisiana public university. Advising and planning are key to your success. Consult with a college advisor and develop a written degree plan. It is your responsibility to choose the courses that will best prepare you for a specific college and major, and to complete your baccalaureate in a timely manner.

Where can I go for more help?

Talk to an advisor. You can check specific university transfer and program admission information at the articulation web site. Also, you can visit the web site of the university in which you are interested, or you can talk with a university admissions officer for more details.